Chair: Imelda Muriel-Mateo, MD, FPCCP
May 28, 2012 – Theme: Saving the Youths from Tobacco Industry Interference. The Tobacco Control Summit was held in collaboration with the National Youth Commission and the Department of Health. Youth participants were invited to get involved in anti-tobacco advocacy and oriented on the ill effects of smoking.
May 31, 2013 – World No Tobacco Day Media Briefing at Cafe’ Kapitan, Marikina City. Invited panellists include: DOH Assistant Secretary Dr. Enrique Tayag, MMDA Representative Dr. Loida L. Alzona, Marikina City Vice Mayor Fabian Cadiz, PCCP President Dr. Celeste Mae L. Campomanes, Council on Tobacco Chair Dr. Imelda M. Mateo, FCAP Executive Director, Dr. Ma. Encarnita Blanco-Limpin and President & Managing Director Novartis Philippines Mr. Thomas Weigold.
Position Statement on Electronic Cigarettes / Electronic Nicotine Delivery Devices
- There is currently limited evidence on the safety of e-cigarettes and their sustainability as a smoking cessation aid.
- There are concerns about the attractiveness and appeal of e-cigarettes to the youth and subsequent tobacco smoking and nicotine addiction.
- The use of e-cigarettes may undermine smoke-free policies that are already in place and the increasing de-normalization of smoking.
- E-cigarettes are not subjected to the same rigorous standards as a pharmaceutical product or drug.
- Before e-cigarettes are widely promoted, evidence…